How to Write a Cover Letter for a Government Internship
A Cover Letter is More Than a Summary of Your Resume
A cover letter is frequently required, and recommended, along with your job application. It expresses your interest in the role, sums up your qualifications, and attempts to show how you are different than the other candidates.
What Makes a Good Cover Letter?
A good cover letter doesn't tell an employer what you want from a job; it tells them how you will help them. It demonstrates the strengths and benefits you will bring to the position and how your past experience will make it a quick transition.
Each cover letter you submit should be customized for the particular job description. Particularly when applying for a job in government, an individualized cover letter is essential. Government human resources departments frequently use computer programs to scan cover letters, and using keywords from the specific job description can help your application be recognized.
What Should a Cover Letter Look Like?
While cover letters used to be mailed or faxed, they are now almost exclusively emailed along with your resume. A cover letter for a government position would look like the below sample:
Dear Mr. Norton:
I would like to express my enthusiasm in applying for the position as a legislative intern at the New York Civil Liberties Union recently posted in The New York Times. As a prospective May 20XX graduate from Boston College with considerable writing and administrative experience, and a strong interest in law, public policy, and immigrant rights, I believe I am a strong candidate for the legislative intern position.
The job description states that you are looking for a candidate with a commitment to civil liberties, who has strong communication and interpersonal skills, excellent writing skills, organizational skills, and someone who is very detail oriented. As a government major currently involved in writing a thesis on immigration law and as someone who contributes regularly to several blogs focused on government and immigration issues, I have become a proficient and skilled writer. As an intern for Mayor Jones at the New Brunswick City Court House, I have developed strong interpersonal skills, acquired a basic knowledge of public affairs, and have polished my organizational and administrative skills. As a current intern and assistant to Tom Jones, Legislative Assistant for Attorney Bill Phillips, in New Brunswick, NY, I have further enhanced my quantitative and qualitative research, editing, writing, and administrative skills.
As a government major, I have spent the past four years of my academic career focusing on U.S. immigration politics and immigrant rights. I have taken courses in American Politics, Immigration Law I and II, Dissident Political Thought, Politics of Congress in addition to conducting several research projects in collaboration with Professor Jack Barnes at Boston College. My case research explored the civil rights of minorities who were recently denied jobs for which it appeared that they were fully qualified. While working on my thesis, I learned a great deal about the process of conducting legal research and in writing about civil rights litigation.
I have excelled in my academics and previous internships and jobs and feel that I would be an asset if I were selected to intern for the New York Civil Liberties Union.
I will call within a week to discuss my candidacy and see if we might arrange for mutually convenient time in which we can speak.
Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
DEA Agent Resume
DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) agents are law enforcement officers employed by the U.S. Department of Justice to control manufacturing, consumption, and distribution of drugs. They have to keep secret eyes on drug trafficking and apprehend those involved. The agents also have to deal with terrorist organizations that indulge in producing and selling of drugs to generate funds to spread terrorism.
A DEA agent have to be physically fit with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, or communications, telecommunications, economics, finance. Prior work experience with any law enforcement agency and fluency in spoken and written foreign language is a must. The selected candidate has to undergo intense training that last for 18 weeks and learn identifying drugs, using weapons, leading a team, conducting raids, and apprehending drug violators.
DEA Agent Resume Example
I want to fight the menace that is ruining lives of youth and adults and damaging country's economy by working as a DEA agent for the “U.S. Department of Justice,” and wage a war against drug trafficking and terrorism.
Summary of Skills:
- Physically fit and willing to relocate to any city
- Excellent eyesight and hearing abilities to identify and smell drugs
- Ability to use weapons, conduct raids, and apprehend violators
- Knowledge of the national and international rules for controlled substances
- Ability to investigate, prepare reports, and testify in courts
- Skilled in confiscating and documenting seized drugs
- Excellent knowledge of English and French language
Sheriff County Office, Indianapolis, IN
October 2014 - Present
- Surveying areas notable for drug dealing and watching suspects
- Working with a network of informers and conducting raids
- Confiscating and listing drugs and arresting violators
- Investing drug distribution channel and collecting evidence against big fish
- Preparing reports, submitting evidence, and testifying in court
- Planning programs and spreading awareness on the ill causes of drug consumption
Local Police, Indianapolis, IN
March 2013 - September 2014
- Assisted in the investigation of drug crimes in the city
- Conducted surveillance and produced reports on suspected activities
- Arrested suspects and seized narcotic substance
- Inspected and analyzed evidence to present in court and strengthen case against perpetrators
- Supported state and federal crime branch departments on conducting drug operations
- Posed as an addict and uncovered information on drug sellers and distribution system
- Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice
Indianapolis University, Indianapolis, IN