You've written your book, passed out from joy, and woken up—and now you need to write a dedication to that person (or those people) that made it all possible. You want the dedication to mean something, but how do you make it work? There are lots of options, from simple to complex, and from formal to informal. Here are some dedication examples to give you an idea of how it can be done. Once you are finished your dedication, you may want a second opinion, and our manuscript editors would be happy to take a second look.
Formal and simple
For my mother.
Informal and simple
This is for you, Mom.
Informal and complex
This is for you, Mom. Thanks for always being there for me. And for macaroni and cheese every Thursday.
Formal and complex
I dedicate this to my mother and father; amare et sapere vix deo conceditur.
Informal, with anecdote
To Johnny, for the night in the car, the day on the beach, and the evening in jail—keep living the life, baby!
Formal, with anecdote
This book is dedicated to Barbara Johnson, for her kindness and devotion, and for her endless support when Catherine was ill; her selflessness will always be remembered.
Informal, in memory of
In memory of Melanie Trasker. You left fingerprints of grace on our lives. You shan’t be forgotten.
Formal, in memory of
For Clement Samuels, in memoriam.
He held no dream worth waking; so he said,
He who stands now on death's triumphal steep,
Awakened out of life wherein we sleep
And dream of what he knows and sees, being dead.
But never death for him was dark or dread;
"Look forth," he bade the soul, and fear not. Weep,
All ye that trust not in his truth, and keep
Vain memory's vision of a vanished head
As all that lives of all that once was he
Save that which lightens from his word; but we,
Who, seeing the sunset-colored waters roll,
Yet know the sun subdued not of the sea,
Nor weep nor doubt that still the spirit is whole,
And life and death but shadows of the soul.
– Algernon Charles Swinburne
Image source: Krista Mangulsone/Unsplash.com
Certain character types appear in literature from all time periods and all countries. This article looks at five of the most common character archetypes and gives examples from well-known literature to help you identify them and adapt them in your own writing.
All the material that appears at the front of a book before the actual content is called front matter, and it actually contains some very important information!
You have finally completed your novel, but now you have to decide who to dedicate your work to and which style of dedication is most appropriate. This article will help guide you through the process of writing a dedication.
Back to Advice and Articles
Writing About Dedication Samples
Dedication page is the part of any , or a .
What is a Dedication Page in a Thesis or Research Paper
This part is, basically, a source to offer warmest gratefulness of the writer towards any other person for whom he wish to pay honor. Dedication page always comes on the front of the book or thesis. So, if you have done with your research and now planning to write a dedication page in a book or thesis then this article would be the right choice for you. Here, you will come with dedication quotes, words for dedication, sample dedication and other dedication examples that will assist you in turning your dedication a great blast.
Some Helpful Tips to Remember Before Writing the Dedication Page of Thesis
First of all, remember writing a dedication page for a thesis, dissertation or a is not a difficult deal. Though, it is a fact that a little bit of concentration and focus can better guide you in writing a great dedication page for your final project. Basically, dedication page shows your devotion and sense of appreciation for those who have assisted you in the pursuit of your academic goal. It can be termed as a source of acknowledgment for those who have offered their help whole heartedly in the fulfillment of your studies. However, it is also interesting to note that dedication page is totally optional and up to your willingness to add or subtract. Sometimes, it happens that you get quite nostalgic when start finding out people in your memory who have supported you to get in touch with the finish line of your project. Anyways, you do not need to worry about such situation as you can streamline all the names and add them in the dedication segment.
Helpful Guide to Write a Dedication Page in Research
Here are some important points to remember before going through dedication writing.
- First of all, if you are going to add dedication page in your term paper, thesis or dissertation then it should always be added just after endorsement.
- The dedication page will not be numbered as well as it will not be counted in total page count.
- Formatting of dedication page is also unrestricted. You can easily go with any style or format. Anyways, for better output, it is also recommended that always follow the advice of your supervisor or project coordinator regarding the style and formatting of dedication page. You can read more about in detail including the , , and .
- The dedication page should be briefest and should not exceed from one page.
- Before starting dedication page, you should develop a list of institutions as well as people you wish to pay tribute to. Individuals that you are choosing might be your parents, siblings or peers who have helped you in any way during your career. The support they offer you might be moral as well as monetary. Dedication is paid just to offer a thankful note towards their sincere support. Institutions are added in the dedication that have supported in your research or funded you with a scholarship for the successful fulfillment of your thesis or dissertation.
You can read more about the .
Steps to Write a Dedication Page for Your Thesis or Research Paper
When you finally then it is time to make a right decision in choosing a person whom you wish to be the part of your book. It is right to say that you may pass through anxiety while choosing some out of so many people whom you are going to dedicate your work. However, just make right choice after having careful look.
Remember, your dedication may be formal to informal. You can also go with beautiful dedication quotes or poems for this page of your thesis. On formal note, you can dedicate your work to your professor, supervisor, parents or any institution that supported you in the fulfillment of your academic goal. On the other hand, informal options might be your siblings, peers or even a favorite pet. However, whatever the choice you make, remember to enclose the reason of your dedication to that specific person or institution.
Here are some tips as how you can address a dedication as well as sample dedications for your assistance.
Tips on How to Address a Dedication
There are so many ways in which you can easily address your dedication. For example
- “This is dedicated to …”
- “I would like to dedicate my work to…”
- “I dedicate this book to…”
- “In dedication to my…”
- “It is our genuine gratefulness and warmest regard that we dedicate this work to…”
Alternative Formats for a Dedication
It is quite interesting to note that funny anecdotes and poems may also be the part of your dedication. However, it is better option to keep your dedication as concise and simple as it can be. Read some .
Sample of Dedication for a Book
Here are some examples from famous
- Joseph J. Rotman presents his book ‘An Introduction to Algebric Topology’ with a dedication to his beloved wife and children by adding a sense of humor for the readers
“To my wife Marganit and my children Ella Rose and Daniel Adam without whom this book would have been completed two years earlier.”
- On the other hand Lemony Snicket have added poetic expression while writing his dedication in his famous work ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’
“For Beatrice-I cherished, you perished.The world’s been night-marished.”
- Robb Hobb encloses his dedication with a funny anecdotes in his famous book
“To caffeine and sugar, my companions through many a long night of writing.”
- Sean Carroll also presents his dedication towards his mother in beautiful words in his book ‘The Particle at the End of the Universe’
“To Mom, Who took me to the library.”